My take on the RF 800mm f/11 DO IS STM for birds

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
quiquae Senior Member • Posts: 2,133
Re: My take on the RF 800mm f/11 DO IS STM for birds

CameraCarl wrote:

This is a lens which is somewhat of a paradox to me. The value for the money seems amazing to me. But I am torn: should I make my next lens expenditure this 800mm and keep using my EF 100-400 IS II and 1.4x on my R5? Or sell the 100-400 and the 1.4x; buy a RF 100-500; and just crop when I need to? I do find it so much easier to acquire birds in flight with the zoom lens, and the ability to crop is the main reason I bought the R5 instead of the R6.... decisions....decisions.

As an owner of the 100-400L2 (but no extender), I had this conversation with a Canon rep at a store in Japan a few weeks ago. We concluded that I should get an EF 1.4x extender rather than the RF 600mm F11, but if I want an 800mm, I'd be better off buying an RF 800mm rather than an EF 2x extender. That said, he said he personally likes the 600mm better, as it is more compact, and less difficult to aim than the 800mm (this problem was mentioned elsewhere in the thread).

By the way, 100-500L was not among the rep's recommendations: he told me it is so scarce that even he has never tried one. He does get shipments from Canon, but he doesn't get to open any of them because they're all spoken for. Poor guy.

quiquae's gear list:quiquae's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD300 Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow