Alpha FF: HDMI output resolution of rear LCD displays?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Beatsy
Beatsy Senior Member • Posts: 1,167
Alpha FF: HDMI output resolution of rear LCD displays?

For hand-held field work, mostly macro-related, I can't always get my eye to the EVF and have to use the rear LCD instead. This can be hard to see too; e.g if pushing the camera into undergrowth or holding it at arms length to not spook a subject, or simply because the screen isn't flippy enough.

I experimented with tethering my A1 (but could have been A7rii, A9 or A7riv) via Imaging Edge to get a better "live view" on a phone screen (Pixel 2). It worked OK, but the truth is, I couldn't see much more on the phone than I could on the LCD. Certainly no more than I'd see through the A1 EVF. That made me wonder if Sony may be right to not care much about increasing the resolution of the rear LCD(?)

That aside, it didn't make life better for manual focusing at macro scale and there's the usual lost-connection nonsense to deal with too. Not a viable solution in practice.

Which leaves the obvious solution of just plugging a monitor into the HDMI output, but I can't find any information on the resolution I should expect from that. I know the HDMI port can transmit up to 4k when recording video (which I don't do much), but I can't find the actual resolution used when simply "monitoring" in stills mode. Is it only HD? Are my hopes of getting the same resolution as the A1 viewfinder doomed? In fact, what *are* the pixel dimensions of the A1 viewfinder? About 9 million "dots", I know, but what's that in X by Y full-colour pixels? Is there any relationship between the resolution of the rear LCD and that of the transmitted HDMI image on a monitor? I'm thinking of the new "a" version LCD updates there.

Links to relevant info much appreciated as my searches keep turning up the wrong stuff.

Beatsy's gear list:Beatsy's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +16 more
Sony a1 Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow