Counting my blessings with the Z7II and the 24-200

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 5,487
Re: Counting my blessings with the Z7II and the 24-200

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

I have to agree that the Z7-series and the 24-200 is a great combo, especially if you want to utilize the DX crop mode to get the 36-300mm equivalent. Of course, the 24-200 also works well on the Z5 and Z6 if you don't use DX crop mode (or are OK with a 9MP image).

But I think Nikon has done a really nice job on the Z's so far and the 24-200 especially. It's slightly cheaper than the F-mount 28-300 but sharper IMO and that's a win-win for people looking for a travel zoom like that.

Unless I'm doing something really specific, like shooting in a studio shoot, the 24-200 is always in my bag or on the camera, and definitely comes along with me on landscape photography trips and when I travel as it's so versatile and has great quality given what it is. (And people have to keep in mind that the 24-200 is really in the same class of lenses as the fast zooms like the 24-70 and the 70-200 (as many people like to compare the 24-200 to those and it's more like comparing apples to oranges).

You're right about trying to compare those lenses. It's not fair. The only super zoom I've ever owned that I thought was better than the 24-200 was the Canon 35-350, many years ago. It was an outstanding lens. But, it was a monster. You couldn't have compared it to the 24-200 either. Their size and weight differences put them in different leagues. I guess it's just human nature to draw comparisons between apples and oranges.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
fad
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow