My take on the RF 800mm f/11 DO IS STM for birds

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,018
Re: My take on the RF 800mm f/11 DO IS STM for birds

Fazal Majid wrote:

I didn’t realize they were DO lenses. Certainly it is not included in the official product name, even if they don’t hide this if you drill down in the specs, and they don’t have green rings.

I had the meh 70-300 DO zoom, and later replaced it with the better L version, but DO/PF lenses can be outstanding like Nikon’s 300/4 PF and 500/5.6 PF primes.

Yes the original EF 400mm f/4 and especially the EF 70-300 DO could yield some funky results.  Canon definitely seems to be on the right track with these.  It is odd that Canon didn’t include DO in the name of the lens.  I assumed that they did but after reading your post I went back and looked at the box and noticed that it wasn’t part of the name and had to go back and re-read the announcement to make sure that I hadn’t dreamed the DO tech in this lens up.  Sure enough, they mentioned that the use of DO tech made the lens much less expensive to produce.  I guess Canon now considers DO tech standard so no more green ring.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow