Complex masking in Capture One 14.3 (A7C + 20/1.8)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
deednets Forum Pro • Posts: 11,930
Complex masking in Capture One 14.3 (A7C + 20/1.8)

I "accidentally" bought a 20/1.8 G lens. Works really well on the A7C.

Since it is winter (sort of) here in NZ I never had much chance to try it out. Also at the same time wanted to try out Capture One 14.3 (version 21, latest "magic brush" published a couple of days ago).

We have some lavender in our garden and I thought this would make for a good masking challenge. Here is the original, non-edited image, a strong contender for the bin, edited or not. But works well as exercise material:

Not even so-so, but challenging for masking

A couple of stroked around the diffuse areas

Better, but no cigar. Still going to end up in the bin.

The edit was a mere 60 second speed-dating affair with the software. I would have previously used colour masking, then I would have created a mask fro the colour scope and then I would have edited the "holes" within the mask.

The new version might have some excellent opportunities for landscape photographers, maybe those who use the A7IV??

What do you SONY users think? Lightroom had this for years? Darktable introduced this in 2001 - or is this something with a lot of potential?

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-Pro3 Sony a7C Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow