Reduced DOF Concerns, Continued

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
highdesertmesa
highdesertmesa Contributing Member • Posts: 656
Reduced DOF Concerns, Continued

The previous thread reached the post limit, so I thought I'd start a new one to continue the discussion.

Previously on the medium format loss of DOF soap opera: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65303951

I had suggested that the additional image area needed to be covered when 1.) shooting horizontally, 2.) wanting to keep all the foreground in focus, and 3.) moving from 3:2 to 4:3 image ratio might mean more stops of compensation would be needed between 135 format and 44x33 than the accepted number. How many extra stops can't be determined without knowing the geometry of the shot (per Jim K).

Jim K and others have challenged Greg to do a controlled test, however, has anyone done a controlled DOF test to make sure variances in f-stops from one lens to another are not influencing results? For example, testing the Pentax 645 45mm at f/8 on the GFX100 versus the GF 45 at f/8 on the GFX100. DOF between them should be nearly identical, right? But what if they were off by about a half a stop or more for DOF?

At least Fujifilm GF lenses stop down really far, and loss of sharpness to diffraction seems low. Maybe it's just a perception problem, and we shouldn't be afraid to stop down considerably on these f/32 lenses.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow