What's your yield?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
D_Gunman
D_Gunman Regular Member • Posts: 236
Re: What's your yield?

huruta wrote:

Homo erectus wrote:

There's a bunch of really good advice here in other posters responses. I just wanted to add a couple of things that novice photographers often don't grasp early on.

First, each lens has a minimum focus distance. That means that each lens has a range of distance from the camera in which it cannot focus. Usually that range is in the one to three feet range but it can be a lot shorter, in the case of a macro lens, or a lot longer in the case of telephoto lenses.

Also, this minimum focus distance is different from lens to lens and for a zoom lens it is often different at different focal lengths.

So, if you are trying to take a close up shot and all the pictures are out of focus it is likely that the subject is too close to the lens for the camera to be able to focus the lens on the subject. All you can do is but more distance between the camera and the subject.

You can find the minimum focus distance of your specific lenses by looking at their specifications on the manufacturers website, or a retailers website like B&H photo. You can also find it by putting the lens in manual focus mode, and turning the focus dial so the lens is focused as close as it will go. Then, just look at a subject through the viewfinder and move the camera back and forth until the subject is in focus. Now you know the minimum focus distance of your lens.

Second, shutter speed, for a given lens, lets say a 35mm lens, different people will be able to get a sharply focused shot of a static subject with different shutter speeds. This is based on your skill level, practice, your physical strength, how much your heart shakes your body when it beats, how much sleep you've had, how much coffee you've drunk, or not drunk, etc.

The only way to know for sure what shutter speed you need to use to get a sharp shot with a given lens is for you to go out and take a lot of pictures and practice. That being said, the commonly used rule of thumb for minimum shutter speed is 1/2xfocal length or, using our 35mm lens example, 1/70th or as close as the camera can go to that shutter speed.

For a moving subject you typically want to instead think of the speed of the subjects movement. A group of socializing people can have their motion stopped around 1/80th. A running child maybe 1/400th. A high school football game around 1/800th. A large flying bird needs 1/1000. A fast flying bird might need 1/1600. A humming bird needs maybe 1/3200.

It sounds like you are enthusiastic and enjoying learning so you're already doing really well. Keep having fun!

Hope that helps.

I seem to be doing better with close up objects. I think I initially saw the red blinking NO AF and pull back and now I am sort of looking for it. I did notice that many of my photos in fact had slow shutter speeds and I've increased that in response to what many posters suggest here and it seems like it is helpful. Not that my composition is very good, but at least these are in focus!

That's already massive improvement. Congrats.

Composition is something that could take a life time to master it. Just go out with your camera and keep shooting.

D_Gunman's gear list:D_Gunman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X20 Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow