Counting my blessings with the Z7II and the 24-200

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 5,487
Re: Counting my blessings with the Z7II and the 24-200

MrHollywood wrote:

In the past I would have bought the f2.8 trinity without blinking an eye, the Z9, and probably the Noct. So for me this is an evolution that I am happy with, for the moment.

Now I just have to suppress the urge to get medium format to see what it is like.

I dont have any problems with the sharpness of the ”cheaper” Nikon lenses, I got full confidence that they will perform well. But what I often miss is the subject isolation, that nice smooth object separation we get with faster lenses.

Absolutely...

My 70-200 wide open is a beautiful lens.

But so is my 24-200...so much so that it's pretty shocking. It wasn't that long ago that we were all impressed with the 18-70mm and 18-200 VR DX lenses. But there was a fairly obvious difference in IQ on all fronts.

That's just not the case anymore. The biggest optical advantage of the 70-200 or 24-70 lenses is the speed. That's quite an accomplishment.

Robert

I think Nikon has set the new bar height for super zooms. Considering the image quality it produces, the cost is unbelievably reasonable. It's amazing how much time it spends on my camera if I don't need something beyond 200mm in FL. The 50 and 85mm Z primes fill the gaps when speed and/or quality become necessary.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
fad
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow