Counting my blessings with the Z7II and the 24-200

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 5,487
Re: Counting my blessings with the Z7II and the 24-200

Dennis wrote:

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

I understand your point. But, let me play the Devil's advocate in the case of the 24-200. It's a better than 8:1 zoom lens.

Sorry - I guess I had something else in mind while replying to the specific comment about light & cheap. I'm thinking more specifically about the 16-50, 24-50 and the 28/2.8 prime as I'm shopping around for a small carry-everywhere camera.

Ahhh. Yes, that is a different can of worms. Not having, or even shot with, any of those lenses, I'm at a disadvantage to speak about them.

A lens made to higher standards of quality construction is nice up to the point that it increases the cost, size and weight beyond the intended purpose it's being bought for.

Agreed. In the case of the 16-50 and 24-50, the intended purpose is to make for a cheap kit. My purpose for buying one would be more for compactness than "cheapness"

Yeah, we're back to the compromises we are willing to make to satisfy our end goal. It's a never ending game we have to play. Imagine being in the manufacturer's shoes when making the decisions about design and costs of every lens in their catalog. What makes one buyer happy upsets another.

I just think it would blow the lens out of the water for most of us that see it as a lens that can replace at least a couple of lenses and be ideal for for vacation travel or walking around town or the neighborhood.

From all I've read, the 24-200 is a very nice lens - if it's not premium like an f/2.8 zoom, that's fine, but my impression is that the compact lenses are a step below. Personally, I haven't gotten out to see any camera gear since pre-pandemic, but should have a chance to spend some time in a camera store next week.

Really, I do understand your point. It's just about the compromises we make every time we pick up a camera and lens(es).

I love the idea of something like X100V as my carry-everywhere camera for the satisfaction of picking it up and using it. But a z50 seems like a more practical choice for many reasons.

I love the Z7 II. Combined with the 24-200, it often works great. If I can sacrifice even more, and still get the quality images I want, I'll grab my Sony RX 10 IV. With just a 1 inch sensor, it's certainly not a replacement for the Z7 II, but it's an amazing camera and lens that will surprise many with its image quality within certain constraints. It continues to be about compromises and choices. It's unavoidable.

- Dennis
--

Gallery at http://kingofthebeasts.smugmug.com

-- hide signature --

Steve

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
fad
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow