Is my thinking about equivalence right?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 43,197
Re: This month’s very own equivalence thread

bobn2 wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

I found it so much more of an issue when using a Pentax Q with its tiny odd-sized sensor.

As a Pentax Q owner, I must take issue with that. First, the Q's sensor is not 'odd-sized'. There are many more cameras in the world with 1/2.3" sensors than there are with 4/3" sensors. And us Q owners are just fed up with 4/3 owners telling us that our sensors are 'tiny' and no good for photography. You forgot to mention all the advantages of the Q system:

• Much more depth of field than the clunky old m4/3 system.
  • Much smaller lenses with no meaningful drop in image quality.
  • Smaller cameras.
  • Ability to adapt all kinds of legacy lenses, including many that won't go on mFT.
  • Not based on a legacy film size.

If it wasn't for all the naysayers, Q would be the dominant camera system in the world.

Fair enough Bob tick, tick, tick  ….  I appreciate your humour.

I had my share of Pentax Q - a camera that I wanted to like and still have an affection for -especially with a a quality 35mm fast lens in D mount which made it a Q-ship telephoto in an innocent tiny body.

But the oem lenses were far too expensive for plastic-fantastics although I do appreciate that they were of excellent optical quality.  The Q-mount had to start from scratch for Q-mount lenses and there were too few and too expensive for my taste.   I did try and adapt lenses to it but MF lenses used with only a low-res lcd to focus and frame were a liability.

On the other hand the GM1 with 4/3 sensor and exactly the same size-format had immediate access to the whole spectrum of the lenses that would fit on a M4/3 mount surely gave the Pentax-Q a hard time (especially with the much higher resolution and very effective touch screen).  Through several models Pentax never updated that Q-specific low-resolution lcd screen.

The GM5 with its evf was a full systems camera no longer relying on using the lcd for all purposes must have been the final death of the Pentax Q attraction.

The Q is not the dominant camera system any more than the much more attractive GM5 also failed to dominate.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Yxa
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow