"Crop-ability" of images?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP dperez Regular Member • Posts: 392
Re: "Crop-ability" of images?

Thanks for the replies...  And this isn't actually a fer-real test.  It's me trying to figure out what I have to give up if I go to Olympus from Nikon versus what I gain.

Yes, I've hauled around a 600/f4.  It stopped being fun about 20 yards in.  And I CANNOT hand-hold the thing.  Never could, and at my age I definitely can't now.  And it costs a ridiculous amount of money.

The question I was asked was essentially "Once I take the bird picture, and get it into Lightroom, and crop it down to the bird, WHICH camera is going to give me the most bird pixels so I can crop the least?"

In my test world, it's the D850.  In the REAL world, shooting a 600mm I'd have more bird pixels shooting the D500 with the 600 (900mm 35 EQ) followed by the M1X at 400mm (800mm 35 EQ)...

The other area of curiosity - (this one is my curiosity) is the mechanics.  I shot a Sony A9 II and an A7r III.  In both cases I found that when I put the camera to my eye, there was a delay before the EVF came on.  Since I'm watching a bird flying by, I'm used to putting the D500 to my eye, seeing the bird, and shooting.  With either Sony I was always behind the bird because of the delay.

Will this happen with the M1X or the E-M1 III?

Also, for birds going across my path, I found the viewfinder almost kept up.  The blackouts didn't bother me because I'm used to lots of mirror flapping around blackouts with the D500, so it didn't seem bad with either camera.  But it did seem to lag behind the bird a little.  I got some bird butts as the bird got ahead of me and flew out of the frame.

Will there be visible blackouts and viewfinder lag with the M1X or E-M1 III?

And last, the viewfinder and LCD resolution seem low.  I do a lot of close-up photography with the D850 and use the live view and focus stacking frequently.  It's 2.? MP LCD, which when I zoom in 4 or 5 times to get the most accurate focus, is adequate, but not great.  The M1X (and I think) the E-M1 III are both somewhere around 1.1 MP for the LCD and I'm concerned that I'd find it difficult to get detailed views when zoomed in for focusing.

I believe the E-M1 has focus stacking - will I be able to stack 15 or 25 or 70 or 150 (not all the time but occasionally) images?  And get the originals for rendering the stack elsewhere?

I'm THINKING about renting an M1X and 100-400 if I go to Florida this winter.  I'd have to get it delivered where I was so I could use it for a week in the swamps and see if it's worth leaving Nikon...

If I'm blown away Probably an M1X and E-M1 III and some lenses.  Probably NOT the $7500 150-400, but wide zoom, macro, long tele, and an equivalent of my 28-300 walk-around lens, though I don't know how good the quality is on the Zuiko ED 14-150 or 12-200...  If I recall, there are a couple features the E-M1 III has that the M1X doesn't but I don't see me using the M1X for Milky Way shooting...  I don't remember what the other things were, but what I read said they could be done with firmware so the M1X COULD be updated with them.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow