How to have my photography appreciated, or mean something?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Aaron801 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,112
Re: Flickr!

Paul B Jones wrote:

The 2Kool4Skool crowd don't like it, but flickr is a wonderful place to showcase your photography.

I post my better images there, making sure they are carefully tagged, titled, described, mapped, and placed in groups and albums. By regularly commenting on and faving the images of photographers I like, I have established a friendly community of virtual friends.

I joined in 2011, and the stats function says I have had 11 million views since then, although probably only a tiny fraction of that number represents people actually looking closely at a photo. I've lost count of the number of times I have said yes to requests to use a photo for free for various educational or non-profit conservation purposes (well into the hundreds). I've also sold a few images, or received a free book in exchange for photo use.

So yeah, flickr!

Yeah, I agree.... I've been on Flickr since '14 and though I have considerably fewer followers than you do (exponentially so) I feel like I've connected with like-minded souls. Folks who seem to understand what I do and who also do photography that I'm inspired by. Something like a camera club wouldn't be as good for someone like me as I've cultivated a style which doesn't seem like it would fit very well with the pop photography kind of vibe that it seems that those kind of clubs typically have. With Flickr though you're dealing with a cross section of folks from all over the world so no matter how specific, how unique the vibe of your work is there is likely to be other people who can relate to it and who are doing similar kinds of work themselves.

Flickr gets dumped on for a variety of reasons, chief of which seems to be that a lot of folks have dropped out. Still it seems to be the largest community of it's kind - one which is specifically photography related (with decent image sizes, EXIF data shown, discussions of photography related stuff, etc). It does take a bit of a time and energy to post and reply to various groups and to cultivate a kind of community, but once you establish all of that it's really a nice place for serious photographers to share and discuss their work...

-- hide signature --
 Aaron801's gear list:Aaron801's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow