"Crop-ability" of images?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Dennis Forum Pro • Posts: 20,447
Re: "Crop-ability" of images?

dperez wrote:

Nikon D850, 600mm f/4 versus M1X, 300mm f/4.

If SO, the bird’s head is 20% of 5184 = 1037 px on the M1X and 20% of 8256 = 1651 px on the D850. Based on that, the subject in the D850 image has 60% more pixels available for cropping. What am I missing?

With equivalent focal lengths to give you same relative magnification (same percentage of frame) the higher res sensor gives you more pixels "under" your subject.

Beyond that, you have issues of lens sharpness - the 600/4 is almost certainly capable of recording more detail. Even if you put it on a 24MP sensor, I'd bet on the 600/4. But countering that, you have technical issues - can you, as a photographer, capture sharp images ? Are you panning ? Using IS/VR ? You might have an easier time getting the most out of one system or the other. And will you even get to where the shot is with either kit ?

(I remember many years ago running across a Canon photographer shooting wildlife. I had a Minolta 400/4.5 at the time. He had a 500/4 and said that a number of photographers in his photo club were switching from the 600/4 to the 500/4 because the 600 was just such a beast to haul around and use).

- Dennis
--

Gallery at http://kingofthebeasts.smugmug.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow