Complex (to me) R5 HSS with TTL questions

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
f8f8f8 Regular Member • Posts: 172
Complex (to me) R5 HSS with TTL questions

My 8 year old Canon 600EX-RT (original) this past week has started having a weird issue. Even though it will have the R5 display 1/250th sec for the flash sync speed (EFCS), the camera will often actually shoot at a non-flash exposure while in Av mode (which is what I use 99% of the time). It primarily does this while in bounce mode. So, indoors it will have the R5 display 1/250th of a second but take the actual exposure at 1/3rd sec or 2 seconds, or whatever ambient alone would call for. At first I thought it was the Vello TTL-Off_Camera Flash cord (I now have three), but more testing shows that even when mounted directly on the R5 this behaviour continues. I have tried cleaning the contacts, fresh batteries, etc., so unless you have had this exact problem with this exact combination, please don't offer a theoretical solution. Also, my back-up flash (Nissin Di700A) works properly on my R5 so I am certain that the problem is the flash itself.

I have treated this flash nicely and am dissapointed that it is currently not dependable. My options at this point have been narrowed down to:

1) Have Canon repair it. I do not believe that the out-of-warranty cost (my gut feeling) would be worth it and I would forever doubt this unit going forward.

2) Buy a new Canon Speedlight 600 EXII-RT. Although I can afford it, at $500.00 I don't think it is a wise investment anymore with the other options available. See below).

3) Buy a Flashpoint V860II-C Li-on R2 TTL On-Camera Flash speedlight.

Sorry for such a long post but here comes the tricky (to me) questions.

Will the V860II-C when mounted directly on the R5 simultaneously have TTL and HSS? I believe that I have read that off-camera with it's built in radio system it will not currently do this.

If I would attach the V860II-C to my R5 via a Vello TTL-Off-Camera Flash Cord, would it "think" it is directly attached to the R5 and woulld TTL and HSS work simultaneously?

Now for the REALLy tricky question. (I have all of the following). NOT using the V860II-c's built in radio sysytem BUT using my Yongnuo wireless transmitter (please read on) YN-E3-RT and my YNE3-RT Wireless Flash Receiver (bypassing the V860II-c's built in system) would the TTL and HSS work simultaneously off-camera? This likely sounds like quite the Rube Goldberg contraption, but until Godox/Flashpoint updates their software for the V860II-c, it may be the wireless off-camera way to simultaneously have TTL and HSS.

Thanks for hearing me out and I welcome your feedback.

F8F8F8

f8f8f8's gear list:f8f8f8's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +7 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow