K3III Sensor Stain

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
jamesm007 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,793
Re: K3III Sensor Stain

Good for you, a replacement is perfect. A cleaning may not have been perfect because of the Auto Focus Module. With that much of a splatter I would personally be a bit worried some residue landed on the autofocus module it may or may not affect autofocus. But I would not want to think about it for the many years I own the camera. Cleaning might not be easy, nor something an owner should do.

To clean it you would have to lift the mirror up and hold it up, have some sort of wet cleaning method that could clean the curved front. And a way to check the results magnified, because only a small drop could affect autofocus. Its a often overlooked area to clean over years of ownership. I do dry cleanings with my mirror brush to make sure its free of dust occasionally. And even more occasionally do a wet cleaning with my wet swab after cleaning the sensor, I just use the same brush and run it across the mirror and auto focus mirror that sits below the main mirror. I have never wet cleaned the autofocus sensor.

FWIW I know oil is not put on the gears and most moving parts of the mirror box but grease. Grease would not splatter into the mirror chamber like that (I don't think). Now oil is used in many areas of the camera just not on the mirror box gears. When it is used its a light almost invisible application of it. It could be why Pentax just replaced it knowing something is amiss on your $2000

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow