"Crop-ability" of images?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
joeletx Veteran Member • Posts: 3,646
Re: "Crop-ability" of images?

dperez wrote:

More photographers who’s judgement I respect are talking about moving to Olympus. A question came up the other day and I’m trying to figure out the answer.

Nikon D850, 600mm f/4 versus M1X, 300mm f/4.

As I understand it - the lenses are the same equivalent - 600mm. The Nikon shoots at f/8 and ISO 3200 and 1/500. The M1X shoots at f/4 so the DOF is the same, and ISO 800 and 1/500, so the exposure is the same, right?

Thank you for saying this. Same DOF and same SS, compensated ISO. You get this right, unlike the others in the ever ragging on equivalent debates, four times amount of light, blah blah.

Go outside and shoot a backyard bird. Same spot, same distance, same bird, both cameras.

On EACH sensor does the bird take up approximately the same percentage of the sensor? On the D850 image the bird’s head covers about 20% of the width of the sensor. Does the bird’s head cover the approximately the SAME 20% of the sensor on the M1X – within reason since one is a 3:2 sensor and the other is a 4:3 sensor?

If SO, the bird’s head is 20% of 5184 = 1037 px on the M1X and 20% of 8256 = 1651 px on the D850. Based on that, the subject in the D850 image has 60% more pixels available for cropping. What am I missing?

Yes, I think it is the advantage of having large sensor. If I look at the pixel density alone, then I can stay back further then the final crop having the same number of pixels would look the same with E-M1X shot. But I think lens resolving power and environment haze become factors.

joeletx's gear list:joeletx's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow