First "warning" from my HD backup

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JahnG
JahnG Veteran Member • Posts: 3,328
First "warning" from my HD backup

For some years I have used two separate 2Tb Lacie ("Porshe design") USB3 HD:s as outer backups for my pictures. (Win 10 pro table top). Both HD:s are roughly halfway filled. (I have named the HD:s T1 and T2)

Normally I update my pictures to these HD:s perhaps one - two times a month , else the HD:s are not connected (= shut off). Until now both HD:s have worked flawlessly.

Today, after transferring a couple of folders to T2 (perhaps 1000 pictures) there was some trouble announced, and the transfer was discontinued. I deleted the discontinued folder from the HD (T2), and tried a new transfer, and now everything worked.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE ERROR MESSAGES BELOW AR TRANSLATED FROM  FINNISH LANGUAGE WINDOWS 10 INTO ENGLISH, SO THE TEXT WILL NOT BE EXACTLY WHAT YOU SEE IT IN A ENGLISH SPEAKING WINDOWS.

Looking at "properties"/"tools"/"check" for T2 it was annonced that there were faults in the HD and please repair. After choosing "repair" it was annonced that the HD will be "checked and repaired".

Afterwards was displayed a text that Windows had successfully checked the HD and no faults had been found ? (I don't know if this mean that something WAS repaired by windows and THEN checked?

I also checked the other HD (T1) and it had no faults according to Windows "properties"/"tools"/"check".

Do you think that after this early warning it would be best to replace the HD (T2) ?

And do you think that outer USB 2Tb SSD:s are good enough by now for backup purposes, in case reasonably priced such 2Tb exists??

Jahn

JahnG's gear list:JahnG's gear list
Canon PowerShot A650 IS Panasonic ZS100 Pentax K100D Super Pentax K-r Pentax K-S1
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow