win10 lasest update question

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Austinian
MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 11,403
Re: win10 lasest update question

Scottelly wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Scottelly wrote:

you probably already have linux (or something very similar) on one of your devices.

Yup.

Why not put it on your desktop or notebook computer too?

Because Linux doesn't run all the applications I want to use. For me, operating systems exist primarily to run applications; all other aspects are secondary.

Of course, yet I would be interested to know what you can't run on a linux machine, either natively or using WINE.

Some of them could, like darktable, which I initially tried on this desktop's Kubuntu drive. But why? Everything I need works well now, I don't need an extra layer of complexity like WINE, which last time I looked had problems with a lot of 64-bit apps. That may have changed, but again, why?

Are you using an Apple, running MacOS?

And moderating PC Talk? LOL, no.

I have a M1 Mac Mini I bought to play with (technically very interesting), but I've had little use for it after I discovered that it didn't play well with the Sony TV I was going to HTPC with it.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7R IV Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow