Chip prices keeps Sony from launching new models a rumors says, but why I wonder?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Entropy512 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,252
Re: Not prices

lattesweden wrote:

Entropy512 wrote:

None of the rumors have said anything about prices.

The rumor I quoted and linked (though classified as wild) in the OP does talk about chip prices but it is the first one I have seen that does that and it was the whole reason I asked about it since it got me curios.

It's simple supply shortage, with a few small exceptions (scalpers), many semiconductors simply cannot be obtained at any price unless you already had a contract for N units.

As others have said, Sony does have their own fabs for some semiconductors, but plenty of components are likely not sourced by Sony. For example, I don't think Sony has their own in-house BMS/battery charge controller design, it's likely off the shelf.

All DRAM and flash memory is from third parties. The A7R2 had, in addition to the BIONZ, a Fujitsu Cortex-M3 - and Cortex-M parts from pretty much any manufacturer have become notorious for severe shortages lately. The wifi module is a third party off the shelf product too.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Sony+a7R+II+Teardown/45597

Thanks, interesting. It seems the A7RII is disappearing from several markets as are the other first and second generation bodys. The only one that seems to still be unaffected and kept listed is the A7II (one can guess to have a budget option maybe). Do you think the trend to remove the older bodys from sales also is an effect of the chip shortage or something else?

Probably that is part of it.  I suspect some lesser modules that don't change performance specs often (wifi chips, power management etc) get shared across multiple generations and if one of those is constrained, the allottment goes to more profitable products.

Also while the BIONZ is a Sony design, it may be that they have outsource manufacturing for it.  (Their sensors are clearly manufactured in-house, it's less clear for BIONZ.  For example I'm not sure if Sony manufactures the PS5 SoC despite it being co-designed with AMD...)

I just happened to include the R2 link because of the fact that I don't think ifixit has done an R3 or R4 teardown.

-- hide signature --

Context is key. If I have quoted someone else's post when replying, please do not reply to something I say without reading text that I have quoted, and understanding the reason the quote function exists.

Entropy512's gear list:Entropy512's gear list
Sony a6000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow