Spot meter for 35mm film?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
intothedawn New Member • Posts: 19
Spot meter for 35mm film?

I've recently started shooting 35mm film on a Pentax K1000. Because the light meter is not working on the camera I have been using the sunny 16 rule to gauge the exposure.

So far this seems to work well in normal daylight conditions but I'm interested in shooting some more in the early hours and evenings - mostly buildings/streets and landscapes with the camera on a tripod.

I am interested in experimenting with the zone system for calculating exposures with a spot meter. Eventually I would like to shoot some medium format but for now I want to practice using the K1000.

Does it make sense to meter in this way for 35mm film? Would focal length come into play in the choice of metering methods? At the moment I have a 50mm lens but I plan on getting an 85 and 135mm.. in my mind a spot meter would make more sense than an incidence meter especially with subjects that are far away.

I'm currently looking at the Reveni Labs Spot Meter, has anyone had any experience with one of these?

Thanks for your help!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow