IR hotspot with the 45

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Greg7579
Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,041
IR hotspot with the 45

There have been a lot of threads on IR lately and we have posted lists of all the GF lenses and where they are good or have hotspots at each aperture.  I can't find that thread, but I experienced bad hotspots with the 45 and the converted 50r yesterday on the Arctic Sea in far North Iceland (on gravel track 870 on the black lava beaches of far NE Iceland).

I saw the bad hotspot in the EVF and it was there at all apertures.  I was very surprised because I had never seen a hotspot with the 45.

But I am convinced that all GF lenses can have hotspots in certain conditions.  I just don't know what the conditions are.  I think it is angle of the sun to the lens and also the background of the center of the lens, which in this case was black sand.  The first shot is a bad hotspot.  The second shot the hotspot disappeared into the foliage when I reframed it away from the black sand.

I tried it both with and without CPL and that had no affect on the hotspot.  The hotspot was there at all apertures.  I just buried it in the bright IR green lava foliage in the second shot.  It was there because that area was blown out but made acceptable in post.

Also, on the first shot, the hotspots goes away in LR with B&W number 6.  But that makes the whole image darker.  This was remote Iceland and we never saw another car in over 2 hours of driving that fairly rough gravel seaside road around the peninsula.

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow