Three hypothetical questions about propellers

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Len-O Senior Member • Posts: 1,494
Re: Three hypothetical questions about propellers

Ellis Vener wrote:

1) At least for the DJI MAVIC Air 2S are there propellers that are actually quieter?

Not yet for the Air 2S.

I have both an Air 2 and an Air 2S, I bought the master Air Screw Air 2 props, and the noise reduction is minimal. More of a minor change in pitch rather than a noise reduction. The MAS A2 props are not compatible with the A2S.

2) Does propeller shape (I am thinking wider than standard )as well as profile make a difference in flying characteristics?

Yes.

3) Would a three or four bladed prop make a difference in flying characteristics?

Yes. There is a reason FPV drones use three bladed props along with much more powerful, and noisier motors.

I am asking because I am curious and know a little bit (I mean a very little bit) about how increasing the number of blades and going from a narrower to wider propeller made a performance difference for aircraft like the Supermarine Spitfire, Hawker Hurricane, and North American P-51 Mustang during WWII.

Propeller size was huge for both the P-47 Thunderbolt (4 blade Prop 12ft 2in), and the F-4U Corsair (3 blade Prop 13ft 4in), and both were powered by the Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp engine. The props of the Spitfire, Hurricane, and P-51 were much smaller, but had blade modifications (usually additional blades) through their development.

The FW 190 also had fat paddle blades used in an attempt to improve high altitude performance, but that was soon abandoned.

Len-O's gear list:Len-O's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow