Samyang 24mm f/1.8 vs Zeiss Batis 25mm

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Ron Outdoors Contributing Member • Posts: 998
Re: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 vs Zeiss Batis 25mm

sirVir wrote:

I can buy a used Zeiss Batis for the price of a new Samyang. I am not aware of anyone directly comparing those two lenses, but they seem very similar with their size, focal length, f-stop and built.

Does anyone have both and could comment on their optical qualities? My takeaway so far:

For Batis:

• better build quality
  • less value depreciation
  • T* coating

For Samyang:
- newer construction
- comes with a warranty
- slightly wider and brighter
- more complex optical design
- lighter

For both:
- weather sealing
- “extras” - oled, infinity indicator, extra button

I used to have the Batis 25mm. Great lens, very sharp. I wonder if the Samyang would be as good. And the Batis seems to be wider than 25, so probably about the same there.

The Batis is bigger and heavier and takes a larger filter. Batis uses a curved, flaring outer shell, making them bigger than similar focal lengths. They are well built. But for me, a lot would depend on the condition of the particular lens you're considering. The Samyangs do depreciate a lot from their original release price.

-- hide signature --

www.ronhartman.net

Ron Outdoors's gear list:Ron Outdoors's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Sony a7R IV Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow