1Password 8 dropping Standalone (local) vaults

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
lightandaprayer Veteran Member • Posts: 4,633
Re: Hackers

wklee wrote:

i was reading about the Pegasus malware. Scary.

Yes, the implications of the NSO software are scary. . . But average people like myself are not the targets of Pegasus, so I am not concerned about it. When you consider the resources required for its development and implementation, it seems very unlikely that we will ever face a similar hack, unless the code was somehow released into the wild, where it can be adopted for use by hackers.

Regarding encryption and password generators use by password managers, etc. it is something used by millions of average folks, so the security of the protocols are very important to us.

Here is a story about Kaspsersky's password manager and how the use of a very weak Pseudo Random Number Generator protocol meant that passwords it generated can be quickly cracked:

Kaspersky Password Manager: All your passwords are belong to us

Here is some background information about PRNG:

Pseudo Random Number Generator (PRNG)

Finally, this is a discussion on its official forum about how 1Password does PRNG. The thread dates from 2014 and it should be considered to be a "draft" of the formal documentation, as some things may have changed since then.

I am going to dig into this subject to find more recent information; I just haven't had time to do so yet. . . If anyone has a link to recent info regarding 1Password security measures, I hope you will post it here.

How Random Are The Generated Passwords?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow