4/3 Oly 50mm f2 Macro vs Pana 45mm f2.8 Macro

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 6,115
Re: 4/3 Oly 50mm f2 Macro vs Pana 45mm f2.8 Macro

cornellra wrote:

hello all

hopefully this is less contentious that some of the more active threads I have seen. I was debating about getting a Panasonic 45mm 2.8 Macro to replace my adapted Oly zuiko 50mm f2 macro. Recognizing that the O50 is recognized as a great lens, trying to figure out how to improve carrying weight and optimization of my kit. Currently have EM1.1, EM5.3 and E-PM2.

Anyone have good experiences with using the P45 2.8 on an oly body? I am sure the body does not matter all that much outside of CA/PF management but wanted to get some thoughts as i have not ever used the P45. Part of my reasoning of also going with this FL is the flexibility of some portrait work, of which for me, works the best (e.g. m43 42-50mm, or 85-100mm in 35mm terms) I have also not liked the 30, and 60mm lengths as I also want to use them as general purpose every so often and for me just does not work.

thoughts all on the PL? other than it is expensive relative to other lenses on the platform?

Here's a good comparison.

https://admiringlight.com/blog/macro-battle-olympus-60mm-f2-8-vs-leica-45mm-f2-8/

For macro, the 50mm f2 is only 1:2, but Olympus made an extension tube and two teleconverters that work on it.  And, I always thought the 50mm had truly special sharpness and contrast.

You could get the Olympus 60 f2.8 (for macro) and the Olympus 45 f1.8 (for portraits).  But the Olympus is actually a very good portrait lens.  And, it will blur the background much better than the Pansonic 45.

I used to have the 50mm, plus the extension and both teleconveters, and the SRS-11 and STF-22 flashes.  Great system, although bulky.  I kept the teleconverters for my 150mm and 300mm Zuiko lenses.

I have the 30mm and 60mm macro lenses; I like the 30mm for copy work, and the 60mm for macro work.  With the proper extension tubes and the Olympus teleconverters, you can really get some magnification from that lens.

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic GH5 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus E-M5 III +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow