I Need a laptop...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
pajarrett Contributing Member • Posts: 539
Re: I Need a laptop...

Hey John, I did this last year preparing to retire (which I did last month) and travel.  I also have a D850 so here is what I was looking for in a computer.  I am a PC user so I looked for at least an i7 (10th Gen) with 32GB of memory.  I was coming from a 5 year old Dell XPS desktop with an i7 and 16GB of memory; it was dragging using D850 files in Lightroom and Photoshop.  For multirow panoramas, it would do them but I could take a nap waiting.

I started off trying a Dell XPS desktop, with those characteristics and it smoked through D850 files in Lightroom and Photoshop.  I then remembered the travel part and replaced the desktop with a Dell XPS 15 9500: i7 (10th Gen),  64GB of memory, and a SSHD with 1TB (found one on sale at Costco).  It also smokes through D850 files (just not as fast as the desk top).

I would say that any laptop that has an i7 (10th Gen) or better and at least 32GB (probably get by with 16GB, but I would think it would start to slow down) you should be good.  Heck, if you are on a budget, try a current generation i5 (or AMD equivalent), with 32 GB and a SSHD and you should rock.

Now if all you want to do is look and play with your raw files a bit, an iPad is capable of doing that.  I have a 4th Gen iPad Air and I can run Lightroom on it.  It is limited what it can do, but you can do the basic corrections to the files.  You don't have to worry about running out of memory, you can attach a portable SSHD to the iPad and store (and backup) your files there.  I would imagine that the new iPad pros would work even better.

-- hide signature --
 pajarrett's gear list:pajarrett's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow