I Need a laptop...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
bflood Senior Member • Posts: 2,162
Re: I Need a laptop...

I respectfully disagree with CptAmerica, too. The OP is looking for the advice of D850 owners, not the fans of any particular computer. The computer forums are divided, one for PC-types and one for Apple stuff - making partisan opinions likely. So I find the post to be quite reasonable for this forum.

That statement about "price matters" invokes an unfortunate reality. The pandemic resulted in an awful lot of people switching to work from home, and the demand for computers, especially laptops, skyrocketed. The prices skyrocketed, too, and haven't recovered. I purchased an i5 laptop with 8GB RAM and a 1TB drive in 2017 for $349 in a local store (in Las Vegas). In the spring of last year, a laptop with those specs sold for $850 at the same store. The demand has eased some, but that store still wants around $600 for such a computer. More capable laptops are significantly higher.

Based on the price situation, I have a specific question for D850 and similar high-MP camera owners: which is more important for on-the-road processing - the CPU speed (i3, 5, 7, 9) or amount of RAM (how many GB do you think is the minimum needed)? The answers to this question might make it easier for the OP to decide where to put his money when choosing a laptop.

bflood's gear list:bflood's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow