Do folks still "play" with Infrared?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
JimH123 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,130
Of course folks still "play" with Infrared?

RUcrAZ wrote:

While searching for an old picture, I came across a series of shots I took (for pano stitching) using an Infra-red filter. After 20 years, the pictures finally got joined with Microsoft ICE, and a little PP that I did not have nor knew how to use then. It's Lake Tahoe, California-Nevada border, looking roughly West - NorthWest toward California.

There are a whole lot of us that play with IR photography with modified camera that can record IR light. And some of those that dabble in pseudo color where a filter such as 590nm may be used allowing the swapping of the red and blue channels for a special look. And the others are more into longer wavelength filters such as 720nm or even 850nm for doing B&W.

Personally, I am more into the B&W end of it.

Here is an IR example just to show something IR can do. Top picture was taken with a non-modified camera. At the end of 2018, we had lots of fires in California and this was my view of a large hill we call El Toro.

Second image was taken with the same lens using a 850nm filter to show how much better the long 850nm IR light would cut through that smoke and show the hill.

JimH123's gear list:JimH123's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Sony a6300 Olympus E-M1 II +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow