Started Oct 31, 2003 | Discussions thread
OP Jared Hunter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,493
Actually, the comparison is valid

Jim Rickards wrote:

Greg Henry wrote:

Well, you are paying for different things. The G500 take
incredibly good photos (I just bought one) and I was surprised at
how well it does. Still, it doesn't have all of the manual
controls the A1 has, the zoom range, ability to use filters, etc.
They are designed for two completely different groups of people,
really. Not sure it's fair to compare them.

Now, compare the G500 to others in it's category like the Canon A80
or 400... it buries them.

Greg

IMO, the G500 is like a newer Volvo station wagon against an older sports car, the 7i. Under certain conditions, the wagon can bury many a sports car. There is nothing more embarassing to a sports car owner than being beat by a "soccermom" driving a supposed family car.

There IS a point to such comparisons when it come to cameras. Fundamentally, we are dealing with photography - getting the image. The viewer of the image doesn't (and shouldn't) care about what took the picture. The camera is only a tool and if it is designed such that it aids the photographer in taking better pictures with less effort, it should be applauded.

I've never agreed with the notion that one should apologize for the poor performance of a camera by using the excuse that it is an enthusiast "prosumer" model. Either your metering works or it doesn't. There is nothing to be proud of with a camera that requires a disproportionate amount of care and adjustment to turn out a decent picture.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow