Possible to adapt M42 for Olympus OM-1 (film)?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Albert Silver Veteran Member • Posts: 3,373
When the cheap are not, and the expensive are not

ProfHankD wrote:

Heritage Cameras wrote:

Albert Silver wrote:

Well, not mine yet. Heh. It was on my list, but now I am strongly considering something like the Minolta X-370 or 570, which I can find for $50-ish in good shape.

If you can really find a Minolta X-570 (sold in some countries as the X-500) for that price, it's a bargain.

Honestly, the XG models are pretty nice too, and they're available more commonly and cheaper. I used to shoot primarily with an SRT101 and XK back when I did commercial photography, and both those are real workhorses, but the SRTs are a bit clunky -- not quite as clunky as the Canon FT models, but still. The XK is a monster, but it just oozes quality. The other X models (XG series, X series) are notably lighter and smaller than the SRTs, kind of Olympus-ish, and feel a bit less clunky -- they pair really well with the 49mm-filter-size MD lenses, which are also pretty civilized, but a little plasticy.

Still, if you're going to be shooting film with M42 glass, it feels like it should be with a Spotmatic. Unfortunately, they're less featureful than the Minoltas, and even auto exposure requires one of the ES bodies, but THE AUTO STOP DOWN FEATURE ON THE M42 LENSES WILL WORK -- it will not when adapted to other mounts. For cameras with an EVF, view brightness isn't an issue, but for SLRs it can be really nice to have auto aperture work such that the lens stays wide open for focusing and setting exposure and then automatically closes to to the set aperture for the shot.

These cameras are easily adapted for M42 lenses too.

Yes, M42 adapters for Minolta MD are surprisingly common, new for under $10.

I am not glued to the M42 mount concept, but want something that can use them as well. The Olympus is out for this reason. Even if possible, there are no readily available models. The case for others becomes complex as I need to balance the overall price with international shipping to Brazil. The shipping is a complicated factor. For one thing, many announce they don't, and if they do, not to Brazil. But a message to the seller always resolves this. The problem is the cost of shipping, and no, it doesn't matter much where. Shipping rates charged, none FedEx, range from $20 to $80. Yes, really.

The pure prices of the so-called cheap cameras such as the Spotmatic, the K1000 entry-level camera, and many others, is actually not always pleasant shopping. You will find dirt cheap ones, but then the description tells the tale: "shutter is stuck", "mirror sticks", "Deadly fungus infestation - does not affect photos", and so on. Even the cheap Mamiyas with a 1/1000 shutter speed are like that, and a half decent working one is suddenly a $100+ purchase. That is when the seller even knows if it works. Plunking down money and time (it will take 4-6 weeks) for a potentially pretty paperweight is not an attractive proposition.

The cheapest working Spotmatic is actually $70 (with shipping). The K1000? Not less than $115. That is where the Minoltas suddenly appear as boons to those seeking a cheaper dip into the pool before committing to a leap from the diving board. The X-370, the X-570, the XG-M even, and others. And now as I looked, a Canon AE-1 that is supposedly working fine and looks bloody new in pics, came up for $80 (shipping included). Suddenly I am looking at it as an alternative. Suggestions?

Albert Silver's gear list:Albert Silver's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow