RF24-105/4 performance

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Thomas A Anderson Contributing Member • Posts: 892
Re: RF24-105/4 performance

SteveinLouisville wrote:

Thom

The quickest way to improve an image with extremely fine detail is to downsize it. These images are not helpful at all in determining where fine detail breaks down because all the fine detail has been completely reduced to nothing when going from 30MP to 3MP.

I can't post anything that big. Here is 21 MB, a JPG saved at 10 in DPP4 The RAW file was 32 MB. I thought uploads were limited to 10 MB, but apparently not. 21 MB went through.

21 MB file

Thanks! I'm not sure what the file size limit is, but that is a much more clear demonstration of what I was talking about. Pictures of trees and grass are an absolute torture test for lenses especially at a long distance with a wide angle focal length. That's a perfectly fine result from the lens considering the subject, but the detail is still muddy and a better lens would certainly resolve a lot more detail.

A shot like this in broad daylight would be far better served by a slightly reduced shutter, I'd say around f/8 or maybe f/6.3.  There's no reason to have such a narrow DoF as created by f/4, although focused at the center of the frame you're probably only losing that grass much closer to the camera.  With good light the only reason to keep the aperture at f/4 is to minimize DoF field because it is also almost certainly not the sweet spot for the lens.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow