Nikon D5500 broken glass/cracked LCD on dislplay - Worth repairing?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Beckroof New Member • Posts: 8
Nikon D5500 broken glass/cracked LCD on dislplay - Worth repairing?

Hello.  Hoping for some input on what to do with my D5500.  My tween daughter brought me my camera asking to use it about a year ago, after telling her yes and explaining to her how careful she needed to be with it, before she could even walk away she says "oh look, your screen is already broken."  Now, I'm not a detective, but I can say with a fair degree of certainty that she must have dropped it.  Of course she vehemently denied any wrong doing.  I've looked on ebay for parts to try to fix it myself but really don't trust that the parts are genuine OEM parts.  I'm debating on sending it directly to Nikon to fix and it is estimated to be  a $182.95 repair.  I received quotes from other camera repair places and they were all pretty much within $50 of the Nikon estimate and none are Nikon authorized repair centers.  It seems to take pictures fine and everything else in working order except the display screen, which does work even for touch, but has shards of glass coming off and loose.  Shutter count is a little over 4,000 if that matters.  My husband is thinking that it's not worth sending in to repair but I also know we can't really afford another DSLR with one kid in college and another starting her senior year.  In my position, what do you think would be the best course of action?  Thanks so much.

Nikon D5500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow