Long Term Review of the Nikon 500 f4 P

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lordofthelens New Member • Posts: 24
Long Term Review of the Nikon 500 f4 P

Hey everyone!!

I haven't posted in a long time, but I have been actively doing a lot of photography. Last year in January, I picked up the Nikon 500 f4 for a mere $600 online. It is completely manual focus, and it does its job really well. My only camera is a Nikon D3200, and I use a basic tripod with this lens.

Firstly, the build quality on this thing is excellent. Really sturdy, really heavy and just a solid piece of gear.

The image quality is really good, even though my copy has some fungus inside, which I am yet to have cleaned.

The lack of autofocus has grown on me, even though I use it to shoot small birds. The keeper rate is low, but the keepers look really good. I think the rate would increase if I got a camera with a better viewfinder though. I have tried this lens with a D750 and a D500, and focusing is far easier.

I think this is a fantastic lens for the price, especially if you need the reach and are fine with the manual focus.

Lordofthelens's gear list:Lordofthelens's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon D3200 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
Nikon D3200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow