Alternatives to Canon RF 50mm F1.2

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
axlotl Senior Member • Posts: 2,163
Re: Alternatives to Canon RF 50mm F1.2

AkshajN wrote:

Since the Canon 50mm F1.2 is super-expensive and the RF 50mm F1.8 leaves something to be desired, I am looking at the following options for my Canon R5

1. Sigma 50mm F1.4 ART

2. Sigma 40mm F1.4 ART (different FOV, but a desired focal length)

3. Tokina 50mm F1.4

4. Canon EF 50mm F1.2

All of these require EF-RF adapters.

I am seriously looking at the Tokina as it seems to have some unique character with a modern lens design (Design came from Pentax). Sigma 40mm F1.4 is well corrected lens and it is huge.

I would appreciate your opinions and feedback.

HI,  You ask for opinions and feedback. The two thoughts which come to me as an owner and very satisfied user of the RF 50mm f1.8 lens are

1. What do you and maybe others believe is the "something to be desired" about the RF 50mm f1.8 ?  Sure the corners are soft from f1.8 to f2.8 but my copy  sharpens up right across the frame from f4. Some have made negative comment about the bokeh. But I have hundreds of pictures which display nice smooth out of focus rendition.

2. One option  is to simply buy the RF 50mm f1.8 and try it for yourself. You are in USA where that lens costs $199. What compelling reason could there be to not buy it ?

Andrew

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow