New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 5,747
Re: The Ethics of Street Photography

Biggs23 wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

jrmacd wrote:

arbeterfroyen wrote:

Experience vs preservation are different things. I didn't consent to having my face on view for up to nine billion people in a theoretically permanent/persistent public medium (the internet), when I needed to go get groceries.

So the problem isn't necessarily the act of photography itself, but what the audience does with the photograph. But to just say that I either give up all rights to privacy or stay inside and that is that, strikes me as possessive and authoritarian and turns people into objects.

Interesting! From the viewpoint of 'the other side,' I view the restriction of photography as authoritarian! I view it as someone demanding that strangers modify their behaviors and give up rights simply because they choose to grace the public with their presence.

Can I legally walk down the street naked in your city?

Can my wife and I have sex in the park in the middle of the day in your city?

Nope.

Can I stand on a street corner in your city screaming profanities if I want to?

Yes, of course.

Until I was arrested for offensive behaviour, which I very likely would be.

Can I walk through your town with a pet tiger on a lead?

I don't know.

I very much suspect the tiger would be seized and I would be charged or fined for dangerous behaviour.

Can I walk around your city in a Nazi SS uniform? What about rubber or leather bondage and fetish gear?

I don't know, but I wouldn't see why not.

Because in most places I am aware of that would constitute offensive public behaviour.

That would be the authorities and other citizens demanding that I modify my behaviours and give up rights simply because I chose to grace the public with my presence, wouldn't it?

The only ones I agree with are the top two, clothing being a longstanding requirement of all public spaces.

It doesn't matter whether you agree to any of them. You live in a society where public behaviour is controlled constantly be people in authority. How do you reconcile that with your absolute anti-censorship and anti-control stance?

I noticed you didn't respond regarding the paradox of your anti-censorship stance and your status as an agent of censorship for DPR.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview. I'm just a regular poster unless explicitly stated otherwise in the body of the post.
https://500px.com/biggs23

-- hide signature --

All lies and jests; Still a man hears what he wants to hear; And disregards the rest

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D50 Fujifilm X-M1 Nikon D7200 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
(unknown member)
lft
lft
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow