Full Frame vs Micro 4:3

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Christi Dee Forum Member • Posts: 96
Re: Full Frame vs Micro 4:3

Michael Piziak wrote:

I viewed this 2018 video, to get a perspective of how much smaller the Olympus cameras are than other cameras... The video actually compares the micro 4:3 to a full frame camera when it comes to image quality. I have neither, as I've only owned APS-C DSLR's.

While I am impressed by the size of the micro 4:3, I actually came away with a conclusion that, just perhaps, all the talk about image quality advantage of a FF camera, perhaps, just perhaps, may be a bit of "hype."

The video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGn3yPl59ZM

To jump straight to the image comparison, you can click to about 8:50 in the video.

Regards,

Michael

Full-frame cameras have bigger sensors and are, as a result, capable of capturing more light than their smaller-sensor equivalents, which decreases unwanted sound. For example, Micro Four Thirds electronic cameras don't carry out well under low-light problems where the ISO requires to be cranked as much as, state, over 1600.

1. Crop sensor is not a synonym for APS-C but for any sensing unit that is smaller sized than FF.

2. Sensors do not gather light. Lenses and also just lenses do. How much light is cast at a solitary pixel relies on the pixel dimension, the physical size of the lens's aperture as well as the diameter of the photo circle (this is BTW a drawback of larger sensing units: the picture circle is bigger. Thus the intensity is lower for lenses with the same physical aperture diameter (not f-stop)).

3. DoF depends upon 2 amounts: the physical diameter of the aperture (not f-stop) and the distance to the subject (the better I am, the shallower is the DoF, take a look at the DoF range on classical lenses). With a FF sensor, I need to get closer to obtaining the very same field of view. This is the only factor for the shallower DoF of a FF sensor compared to a plant sensing unit (unless I utilize a lens with a larger front component).

4. Lenses are not knowledgeable about the tool behind them. Whether it's a sheet of paper, an FF sensor, or a crop sensor: the picture at the focal airplane looks the very same. A smaller sheet of paper or a smaller-sized sensing unit cuts out a smaller-sized part of that virtual picture and generates a picture with a narrower field of view. The bigger sensor video camera should be brought closer to the topic to get the same FoV with two cameras with different sensing unit sizes and the same lens affixed. Or requires a larger focal length.

5. Contrasting a 23 mm lens on an APS-C sensing unit with a 35 mm lens on a FF cam (both producing the same field of vision from an offered range), the 35 mm lens requires a larger front aspect to give the very same f-stop. However, this makes the lens pricey and hefty offers a more superficial DoF contrasted to the APS-C electronic camera's lens (see over). The bigger front component likewise gathers even more light. However, this light needs to be spread across a larger photo circle to light up the bigger sensing unit.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow