70-200 lens with Nikon D500

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
photonut2008
photonut2008 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,349
Re: 70-200 lens with Nikon D500

Yochi23 wrote:

arniebook wrote:

Since you are asking, my advice is to get the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Lens ... arguably the best F-mount 70-200 f2.8 in the world as well as the "state of the art" technology! I own one, and I love it! The price has come down some, so it's well worth the extra investment, especially considering you have to buy the matching docks for Tamron and Sigma.

I tried the Tamron, and it obviously had good sharpness (but only after a week of struggling with fine focus adjustment using their dock). The auto focus was fast as well, but the focus motor went bad after about 5,000 clicks. I returned it for a refund, and bought the Nikon. I'm well aware that is not everyone's experience with Tamron (or Sigma).

The subject was brought up recently in another thread, which turned a bit off topic. You can check it with this link. You will see differing opinions about Tamron lenses, which may help you decide one way or another.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65272456

Best wishes,

Arnie

Thanks Arnie

Unfortunately the price of the Nikon lens is still double the price of either Sigma or Tamron. So I'll have to settle for either of these two
Yochi

You can get a used copy of one of the older versions for a reasonable price. I don't have experience with the Tamron or Sigma versions, but the Tamron seems to have good image quality from what I've seen. What I like about my original version of the f/2.8 NIKKOR is its blazing fast AF.

-- hide signature --

DPR, where gear is king and photography merely a jester

photonut2008's gear list:photonut2008's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow