Why every popup flash doesn't utilize this method as Sony?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
PhotoTeach2 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,331
Re: Good idea, but not powerful enough

sybersitizen wrote:

PhotoTeach2 wrote:

Smaug01 wrote:

... As others have said, to really be useful as a bounce flash, it needs to have much more power. The light needs to get up to the ceiling, where it gets diffused in the reflection process, then back down. It's more of a gimmick for special situations, I think.

I WOULD like to see more powerful built-in flashes in bridge cameras, even if they make the camera bigger, so that a built-in bounce flash could truly be used as such.

I agree but the flash (capacitor) would have to be considerably bigger to really make bounce truly useful.

So again we are back to compromises and there are already complaints about the larger size of cameras like the FZ1000 and RX10xx. And of course, a larger flash would totally blow the "small" size advantage of the RX100xx.

Since you mention the RX100 series, the pop-up flash of my RX100III can provide a good exposure when bounced in a moderate size room with a bright ceiling at f/1.8, ISO 1600, and any shutter speed up through 1/2000s, without the help of any additional light. That's one of the first things I tested when I bought it. ISO 1600 is certainly not an optimal setting, but I'll take it when better options aren't readily available. And I don't want the camera to be any bigger, so I'm okay sticking with the flash that Sony gave it.

Anyone can get a longer-distance flash w/ higher ISO "indoors".

But at a sacrifice in IQ.

And in SUN-light only ISO-100 is practically possible, (thus much shorter range), thus only a "leaf" shutter can give an advantage by enabling up to 1/4000s @ f/2.8.  (but then somewhat limited by the longer flash-duration at full-power)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow