Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
gardenersassistant Veteran Member • Posts: 8,902
Re: Macro Assistance

cpharm86 wrote:

gardenersassistant wrote:

cpharm86 wrote:

gardenersassistant wrote:

cpharm86 wrote:

I would like to shoot more macro shots and hoping for suggestions. I am using the Canon R5, Canon RF 100 2.8 Macro and just purchased a Raynox DCR-250 macro conversion lens.

Prior to trying the Raynox DCR-250 I was able to take decent macro shots handheld. With the conversion lens it appears to be almost impossible. I can't keep stuff in focus long enough to get a decent shot.

Would I need just to use a tripod or do I need a focusing rail also?

Thank you for your advice.

There are various options. First though, some questions:

• Do you know that with a Raynox 250 the working distance between the front of the Raynox and the subject has to be no more than 125mm, and not much less? (If the working distance is not in that range then you won't be able to get a sharp image.)
  • Are you using autofocus or manual focus?
  • Are you using natural light or flash?
  • Are you photographing animals (insects, spiders etc), flowers, berries etc or something else?
  • If your subjects are insects etc, are they on something that is moving in a breeze and/or are they moving around?
  • If your subjects are insects etc and aren't moving around and aren't on something that is moving in a breeze, how much time do you typically have before they move away?

The answers to these questions and any other information you can provide about what you are trying to do and how you are going about it will make it easier to provide you with appropriate advice.

Do you know the focusing distance for the Raynox 150? I can’t seem to find that information.

For any close-up lens, the maximum focusing distance (when the camera lens is focused at infinity) is around 1000mm / diopters. The Raynox 150 is 4.8 diopters, so the maximum focusing distance is around 1000mm / 4.8 = 208mm. I say "around" because the measured value may vary a bit from the calculated value. For example with a Raynox 150 mounted on a 55-250 lens on a Canon 70D, with the 55-250 focused at infinity, I measured a focusing distance of around 201mm.

The minimum focusing distance depends on how close the lens it is mounted on can focus. To give you some idea though, with a Raynox 150 mounted on the same 70D setup the minimum focusing distance is around 150mm. This means there is a focusing distance "window" of around 50mm, from around 150mm to 200mm. This makes it much easier to use than the Raynox 250, for which the focusing distance window on this setup is much less, around 20mm, from around 95mm to 115mm.

Great explantation. Thank you.

I went ahead and ordered the Raynox DCR-150 today also. I will test this and the DCR-250. Probably keep them both. Not that expensive.

I very much like the Raynox 150. It was my most used close-up lens for insects, spiders etc for many years. I hope you enjoy yours, although I suspect that using it on a 100mm macro might not provide you enough magnification.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow