How do you challenge your own taste on your photos vs that of others?

Started 3 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
arbeterfroyen Regular Member • Posts: 365
How do you challenge your own taste on your photos vs that of others?

I'm not entirely sure if that is even the wording of the question I want to ask but I am bad at the words today. Hopefully I can clarify my intentions.

So three times in the past week I have had responses to my photographs. One was from a client, a business on their re-opening of a physical space. I took photos of the room all done up, it has great natural light, etc. I sent the photos I found acceptable so I'm not exactly embarrassed, but they picked the one I liked the least to put up on their well-trafficked site/social media.

Twice on Instagram off my newly-refreshed public photog account, I have other followers sharing me in their IG stories. Which is AWESOME. I love and appreciate it. But they both used my least favorite photos out of the sets I posted. Of course, again, acceptable but were sort of accent pieces in larger sets. Punctuation. They put them as the thrust of the sentence.

I am... Challenged by this. A little irritated in general of course, but mostly taking it as a chance to reflect. I know that there has been a lot of "advice" bandied about here about not caring about other people and be the stoic cowboy who cares only for their own perspective on their work. That's all well and good and I can be, and am, proud of the photos I like. And I don't encourage changing to be "marketable," unless you are literally marketing it to a client base (which is a good thing!).

But this also seems to be a repeated event. I had a long gap in photography and it used to happen before also. "Here you go Band, some live and some backstage photos," and they'd pick the one I hated (even though I acknowledged it was "good").  Again, the comma and not the subject.

So what's wrong with my brain. How is it so consistently just slightly off the mark? What are others seeing that I don't? I'm not going to change how I shoot of course, I clearly already take the photos that I like and that others like. It's a good deal. I just get a little lost in it. I try to figure out why they like it more than the others... is it more "typical," aesthetically? Does it center themselves or their interest more? Is it punchier? Is it softer? Are there better leading lines? Are there NOT leading lines and that is interesting? Is it the point of perspective? WHAT IS IT?

I don't expect an answer here specifically. So this is sort of a ramble-rant at this point. So, to reiterate the question -

Do you ever find this to be the case when you share your photographs? Are you consistently off the mark of "the public?" Have you figured out what it is that garners attention to some of your photos and not others (short off "I give the client the Pinterest thing they asked for" - valid and smart, but is the answer in and of itself). What the hell? Do you ever STOP shooting like that once you figure it out? Do you do it more (provided you like to do it anyhow)?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow