Chip prices keeps Sony from launching new models a rumors says, but why I wonder?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
AlephNull Veteran Member • Posts: 3,018
Re: Chip prices keeps Sony from launching new models a rumors says, but why I wonder?

lattesweden wrote:

someguy50 wrote:

Spitballing...Current chips already have existing purchasing/manufacturing agreements. The foundry is unable to take on additional capacity (new orders).

Also...Current chips could have a really nice yield due to their maturity.

Example:

• wafer for current cameras can turn out 200 dies, 95% yield. 190 cameras get their chip.
  • New immature chip could be slightly bigger, worse yield because it's new and not yet fully refined. 185 dies, 87% yield. 160 cameras get their chip.

If Sony wants 10,000 cameras, the first one needs 53 wafers. The second needs 63.

Yes, thanks, I didn't think of those two variables but you can very well be correct that current chips goes under a current contract with a fixed price that can't be changed by the chipmaker and also regarding the possibility of a worse yield on newer chips.

Next question is then: Does Sony do the "a" versions, the A7RIIIa and A7RIVa, and possibly if the rumor is correct, other similar small updated versions of other bodys due to component shortage or due to something else?

No one on here knows the exact reasons why Sony released the 'a' versions - it's just speculation. Anyone who does know will be locked down by confidentiality agreements.

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow