RF24-105/4 performance

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Peak freak Contributing Member • Posts: 931
Re: I think it's time to go take pictures.

Thomas A Anderson wrote:

Peak freak wrote:

I have had considerable experience with Canon L lenses, I have read Rogers articles and so-on, but In think I am a difficult customer when it comes to lenses because they always (well, often) seem to have performance that doesn't meet my expectations.

So, for various reasons I am onto my third copy of the RF 24-105/4, but the first that has had 'real world' use. After cataloguing my first batch of maybe a 1000 images It meets my expectations and performs well - except at about 35mm.

In short, there is always some kind of performance drop off at 30- 40mm, mostly on the left (although centering generally seems good).

This example (IMO) is pretty bad, but the sort of thing that I see happening. Check out the left hand tree trunk.

Adobe defaults, sharpening 25. What do you guys think?

Looks like your lens is fine. As your focal length changes your aperture sweet spot will change as well, but I don't see any problems here. What's the issue?

Firstly, this is just a typical example of image softness I have seen (around 35mm F/L) when reviewing recent shots - 'real world' shots.

I am disappointed with the softness on the left, particularly the left hand tree trunk. Please don't get too hung up on the technical side as this is just one example of a trend I see under a range of conditions with the 35mm F/L being the common denominator.

Compare it o the images above that Steve and Gimp Dad have kindly contributed. They are not an exact comparison but illustrate excellent edge to edge sharpness whereas mine does not. If you are fine with what you see in my image(s), that's cool, but surely you can recognise the significant differences in sharpness with other examples.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow