1Password 8 dropping Standalone (local) vaults

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
lightandaprayer Veteran Member • Posts: 4,744
Re: 1Password 8 dropping Standalone (local) vaults

LarryRC wrote: Isn’t the vault containing 1password data encrypted to a degree i could send a copy to the best code breakers and without my password they would take years to open it?

I think that is a logical assumption. . . There is information available at the 1Password website regarding its encryption protocol . While I want to go over it again more carefully, my initial impression is that it is very well done.

The other key component is creating a very strong passphrase of sufficient length and randomness to be able to foil even a super computer working 24/7 essentially forever. Fortunately, 1Password has a built-in password generator that I think may be up to the task. I have seen password generation methods that are scarcely better than plaintext when brute-force attacks are used.

I am qualifying my opinion in part because I am currently in the midst of learning how to evaluate encryption and passphrase generation methods. I may need to change my opinion as time goes on and I learn more. Math has never been my strongest subject but fortunately my wife is much more proficient at it than me.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow