Frogs, Alligator, Owl, Birds & a Trick Neck (7/18/21)

Started 3 months ago | Photos thread
Joachim Wulfers
Joachim Wulfers Veteran Member • Posts: 5,199
Re: Joachim - on the muskrat

zackiedawg wrote:

Joachim Wulfers wrote:

Hi Justin,

nice shot of the alligator and those Bull Frogs. I also like the green heron with his double catch. I thought muskrats were abundant in Florida since I read somewhere that they were ship out of Louisiana and to Florida (because of causing extensive flood dam damages.

Thanks Joachim. Actually muskrats are fairly common and high population in Florida - but I just never seem to see them out in the open...at least in my local wetlands. I have on very rare occasion spotted one beside a canal or road when I had no camera with me, and I see their little beaver-dam-style dome homes frequently, but the muskrats themselves never seem to want to come out when I'm there.

This was the first time I've ever even seen one at my local wetlands, and the first time I was able to fleetingly photograph one - as you can see, not that great of photos given all the reeds, but when you're a wildlife photographer and get an opportunity for a 'first', you take it no matter how bad it is, then work on trying to get a better shot next time!

Another I'd like to photograph someday - the nutria. They're mostly in north and central Florida, but have been migrating south and have been heard of down this way. I'd very very familiar with them having gone to college in New Orleans for 4 years - they're super-common in Louisiana and I've seen them hundreds of times, but I wasn't into wildlife photography back then! So photographing one would be brand new, even though the animal itself is one I've known for decades.

To my knowledge muskrats and nutria both live in burrows and are therefore considered harmful to dams and other water control structures. I have never seen a muskrat or nutria live in a beaver lodge type "home". Maybe what you saw was a beaver lodge.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Wulfers's gear list:Joachim Wulfers's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Sony a6000 Sony a6600 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Voigtlander 21mm F4 Color Skopar Pancake II +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow