Mac Mini M1 expansion options dongle vs tower

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Jazz1
Jazz1 Contributing Member • Posts: 550
Re: Mac Mini M1 expansion options dongle vs tower

Jeff Wahaus wrote:

Jazz1 wrote:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-thunderbolt-dock

I own this one and use it with my M1 MacMini. The only thing I don't like about it is the front port connection to the MacMini. I wish that port was in the back. I suppose if you used it with a laptop, that needed to be unplugged/plugged in constantly, the front port makes sense.

It sells out frequently. I don't know if this is due to the "chip" shortage, or popularity, or both?

That dock seem really redundant and unnecessary for the Mini. It basically only gives you 1 additional Thunderbolt port and 4 USB ports plus a SD card reader. The Ethernet, Headphone, and 90W power supply are not needed by the Mini.

It does look like it would be worthwhile for a Laptop, however.

IMO the Mini just needs a few more USB type A ports for most people. I got a standard USB 3.0 HUB. Even if you don't need more ports it makes plugging/unplugging USB devices much easier than using the back ports.

Granted, it might be overkill for some. I've pretty much used all of the ports on mine with an external headphone amp/DAC, two monitors, and an external HD for TimeMachine backups.

It does puzzle me why Apple seems to be reducing ports on their latest MacMini and 24" iMac. My 2015 iMac has a good number of ports.

Jazz1's gear list:Jazz1's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow