Is there a lens with a zoom like the 15-45mm but faster?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 7,585
Re: Is there a lens with a zoom like the 15-45mm but faster?

RLight wrote:

No. I wish there was.

The only “lens” that’s faster yet same size is the Powershot G1X III, it’s a 15-45 f/2.8-5.6, in APS-C.

All other options are bigger or in other formats e.g. Sony 16-50 2.8G.

In short, each alternative has a drawback (from other systems). All fast zooms for the M are adapted larger DSLR optics.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65294248

If it zooms and is small, it's dark.

If it's bright and small, it doesn't zoom.

If it's bright and it zooms, it's not small.

M is about small, hence there are no bright zooms. Usually a full frame sensor will add another stop of better high ISO performance to an f/4.0 zoom compared to f/2.8 on crop, so not having something like the Sony 16-50mm 2.8G (being even more expensive than the RF f/4.0 L, and that's without stabilization in the lens and less reach) makes sense in my opinion.

My 2 cents? Pair the 15-45 with a 22 f/2 pancake for indoor / outdoor, lowlight and daylight swaps.

The 22mm isn't stabilized, it's only f/4.0 equivalence compared to full frame taking into account it's pretty bad T-stop.

If you want low light performance the RF 35mm f/1.8 IS stm crushes it. The 22mm isn't about low light performance, it's about compactness, like the whole M system.

-- hide signature --

I love 50mm (equivalence)

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow