Is there a lens with a zoom like the 15-45mm but faster?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
KevinRA Contributing Member • Posts: 790
Re: Is there a lens with a zoom like the 15-45mm but faster?

Jeff Peterman wrote:

" the results IQ wise at f/8 just as good for my use as the 17-55"
Well, if you're going to limit yourself to f8, you can put up with a lot of imperfections in a lens.

Yes agree.  f/8 works OK for me for most casual and landscape shots - the 15-45 works well for me at f/5.6 at the wider end.  With the M system I do need to use my primes for shallow DOF work or low light action work - the 32mm f/1.4 and 56mm f/1.4 both sharp wide open.  I rented the 85 f/1.4 for one assignment too lately.

The 17-55 gives you f2.8, which I've used a lot on mine - but admittedly not for a while.

I guess for me f/2.8 on APS-C crop is not that exciting as a f/4.5 FF equiv.  - everyone's mileage may vary.  And in good light if I want everything sharp and in focus f/5.6-f/8 works for me normally for most shots.

I bought the 17-55 when it first came out, to use on my then-new 20D. It remained my standard lens through the 7D, but now my main body is a 5D MKIV, so it just sits on a shelf.

17-55mm f/2.8 was a game changer I know on the 20D at that time - best optical quality and brightest lens for that camera.  It also balanced fine with the heavier 20D DSLR rather than the lightweight small EF-M Body.  I used a 24-105mm on the 5D for a while - full frame equiv of the 17-55 on a 20D.

Guess for me if one can get a good 2nd hand copy of the 17-55 for the EF-M and put up with the size and weight it is OK - just for me on a M6 II it seems not a great match ergonomically, convenience wise and also not exciting.  And expensive if brand new for what's not top notch optics wide open on a 32 MP APS-C sensor which for pixel peepers demands more than the old 8MP sensors (yes I know at same viewing size etc etc....

Of course the 24-70 2.8 on full frame really good...

KevinRA's gear list:KevinRA's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow