Is there a lens with a zoom like the 15-45mm but faster?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Sittatunga Veteran Member • Posts: 3,509
EF16-35mm f/4?

Bejersey wrote:

Thank you!

thunder storm wrote:

Bejersey wrote:

I am looking for, in 35mm terms a 24 or28mm to 72 or 100mm but at a constant f4

Thanks

Rick

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 Art as an f/2.8 equivalent aperture, but it's only 56mm long, not 70 or even 100mm.

The range might be lacking, but the light gathering is great, and on crop it's the sharpest zoom at it's focal range.

You could add the el cheapo EF 50mm f/1.8 stm, which is stopped down to f/2.8 (kinda f/4.0 equivalence) reasonably sharp, to get 80mm.

WIth the ef-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM you will have more reach, however, wide open it won't be really sharp. It's a sharp lens but it needs some stopping down. This lens has IS, which is a great benefit when shooting static objects.

Why would you bother with the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 on an EOS M if you have to stop it down? The EF 16-35mm f/4 is 20g lighter, only 2mm longer and doesn't change length as you zoom. I've never bothered trying mine on my EOS M because of its size. For example,

https://camerasize.com/compact/#833.348,833.425.2,ha,t

I think I'll stay with my EF-M 18-55mm as this is obviously the reason Canon don't do a fast EF-M zoom.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow