I will be the first :-)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP (unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 19,317
Re: I will be the first :-)

John K wrote:

Donald B wrote:

John K wrote:

Donald B wrote:

extreme macro live fly top and bottom. 150 images, want a challenge ,try this, its not perfect but just experimenting with my new gadget , its only going to get better from here. not cropped.

Don

You might be getting a little more depth than I do in a single frame, but I actually think I can get more detail. Can't quite put my finger on why though, but it's down to either some slight stack error (x/y motion), the diffusion quality of the light you are shooting with, or a little bit of both. Impressive to manage 150 frames of a live critter, granted. But the fact that you are taking that many frames does not necessarily make the shot better, especially if I can come really close in a single frame at F14. You are not getting the level of detail that I would expect out of a triple digit focus stack.

The slight lack of detail at this mag is down to shooting through a piece of .5mm slide glass, but as i pm ed you wait till i shoot through nothing at all the glass gets quite dirty after a fly crawls over it a hundred times and squirts fluid over it

Agreed -will be better once you're not shooting through that glass.

was a great challenge to actually shoot such a fast moving insect. shooting so many shots in one season also means i have to shoot low quality jpg not raws or fine i just need "beatsy" to lend me his A1 and im there, game set match. $10k wont be happening soon.

The down side to shooting jpg is that it's a "lossy" form of compression -detail is removed to compress the file. Of course you can control the level of compression and loss, but you still pay that compression penalty every time you open and edit a jpg.

BTW this is a very small fly 1/4 the size of a bee

Don

It does not matter. I've shot plenty of flies in the past. I took this shot at 4x and F16 -and if I edited that seven year old shot today it would be even sharper. I cannot emphasize enough that the number of frames that you are taking for a stack is irrelevant. If you cannot at least match the detail in a single frame shot then me thinks you are wasting your time...

Everything that you are doing and everything that you are using to do it are all just tools. You can have the best tools money can buy, a state of the art garage, and still be a terrible mechanic. In photography the only thing that matters is the final image...

I have yet to see any fly image you have shot with this much detail

-- hide signature --

Sony A7r2 , A6300
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1 em5mk1, em5mk2, em1mk2.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow