Is my thinking about equivalence right?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
rgs_45
rgs_45 Senior Member • Posts: 1,357
Re: This month’s very own equivalence thread

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Ok, it can be very informative and we can let it run, but how many times have we discussed this very point?

Some fully understand, others come from a more limited understanding of what it specifically means to them. Others simply don’t care and it it is the image that is caught that counts and not the technicalities of physics.

Myself I like to compare the equivalent field of view (only) and refer it to the common denominator of what a FF fov “looks like” in my mind. Luckily the 4/3 sensor allows this with a simple 2x multiplier that even my mental mathematics can cope with. I found it so much more of an issue when using a Pentax Q with its tiny odd-sized sensor.

As far as I am concerned a “fast” M4/3 lens is a “fast lens” and I care nothing about what it might be equivalent to in FF sensor terms. If it makes images that I like I need not know what the equivalence might be in order that I can be assured that my personal appreciation is “correct”.

Best and most sensible comment yet regarding this equivalency crap on this thread. Back in the days of 110, 35mm,120, 135, etc. no one complains about which format one is using. Like you, I treat my two format (FF and m4/30) in similar fashion. I care about the outcome than what the sensor size equivalent is.

In any case I am sure that we appreciate these regular updates as they always seem to be popular.

But I would not be so relaxed if the thread became personal or in any other respect ragged around the edges. Nor need we have a continuator thread to follow up the seemingly endless argument.

-- hide signature --

- Rich -
"A photographer is your worst friend. He will Frame you! He will Shoot you! And if you're one of the lucky ones, he will Hang you too."

rgs_45's gear list:rgs_45's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon Z6 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Yxa
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow